The race for ads with higher refresh rates is becoming more competitive every day. A 144 Hz standard for gaming smartphones was introduced this year. However, Asus ROG Phone 3 proves that this barrier has already been exceeded. The new Republic of Gamers smartphone has a 6.59-inch AMOLED display with a refresh rate of 144 Hz. A report now shows that there is a hidden 160 Hz mode that is just above any other smartphone in the Branch lies.
This was discovered by XDA-Developers employees after executing an ADB (Android Debug Bridge) command that made it possible. The ROG Phone 3 display can be operated with an experimental refresh rate of 160 Hz. Anyone with a basic understanding of how ADB works can easily activate this feature. According to the report, the screen actually runs at 160 Hz, and some games at 144 fps that are technically fps enabled can reach that number of frames per second. Games like Mortal Kombat and Death Trigger 2 are optimized for 144 fps on the ROG Phone 3 according to GSMArena's report.
This is of course only an experimental mode, so it does not bring any specific optimizations. Enabling this mode can cause problems with performance, display calibration, battery usage, and even hardware. Ultimately, users should use it at their own risk. We don't think you want to build your brand new, not even cheap, smartphone just to allow an additional 16 fps. Interestingly, the 160 Hz mode becomes available in the quick set switch after executing the ADB command. Asus apparently intended to implement this model, but for some reason it was neglected. If the company isn't secure enough to enable this feature, we think they have their reasons.
ASUS ROG PHONE 3 SPECIFICATIONS
- 2340 × 1080 pixels (6.59 inches) Full HD + 144 Hz OLED 10-bit HDR 19.5: display with 9 aspect ratio, 270 Hz touch sampling rate, 113% DCI -P3, 10000: 1 contrast, dE <1%, 10-bit HDR, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- 3.1 GHz octa-core Snapdragon 865 Plus 7 nm mobile platform with Adreno 650-GPU
- 8 GB LPDDR5-RAM with 128 GB (UFS 3.1) memory. 12 GB LPDDR5-RAM with 256 GB (UFS 3.1) memory. 12 GB / 16 GB LPDDR5-RAM with 512 GB (UFS 3.1) memory
- Android 10 with ROG user interface
- Dual SIM camera (Nano + Nano)
- 64-megapixel rear-view camera with Sony IMX686- Sensor, 0.8 μm pixel size, aperture 1: 1.8. 13MP 125˚ ultra wide camera with 1: 2.4 aperture. 5MP macro sensor with 1: 2.0 aperture. 8k video at 30 fps, 4k at 60 fps, slow motion 4K at 120 fps, 1080p at 240 fps
- 24 megapixel front camera with 0.9 µm pixel size, 1: 2.0 aperture
- USB type -C Hi-Res-Audio 7-magnet stereo speakers with two intelligent NXP TFA9874 amplifiers, quad microphones with ASUS Noise Reduction technology
- Fingerprint sensor in the display
- Dimensions: 171 × 78 × 9.85 mm; Weight: 240 g
- 5G SA / NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, WLAN 802.11ax, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS / GLONASS / Beidou, Galileo (E1 + E5a), QZSS (L1 + L5), NavIC (L5), USB Typ C, NFC
- 6000mAh (typical) / 5800mAh (minimum) battery with 10V 3A 30W HyperCharge fast charge. Supports up to 30 W QC4.0 / PD3.0 / direct charging adapter